Sunday, August 19, 2012

First steps

My last formal education in the arts was at the tender age of 12. At that time our two major projects were to produce a drawing using perspective and a self portrait. The next thing I remember I was a grade higher and in a German class because ostensibly I was "good at languages"and the option had been art or German. I spent the next 6 years providing a source of disdain for all German teachers who had the misfortune to have me on their roll. I survived and even put several college professors through the same wringer all the in the name of being "good at languages". At 22 and several German language teachers later I admitted defeat and have consequently spent the last few decades ruing that 12 year old's decision to choose German over art. I recently came to the conclusion I should give it a whirl again. After all isn't that what mid-life crises are all about. Checking if you still have it??? hahahha.

I have just spent the past 6 years in one of the most demoralizing not to mention blatantly racist, work environments of my adult working life. It was with relish I welcomed the last day of the contract but a sense of trepidation about the months of unemployment that loomed.

You may know me in another incarnation as an animal lover and if you didn't....... well, I am. It was only natural that the first thing I drew after my 20+ years art hiatus would be some kind of four leggeder. It was.  I can't remember which came first, the cat or the dog, but they knocked on my doorstep and I produced over 200 cartoon notelets to raise funds for Doggies Inc. NPO. Every single one of them was hand drawn because I hadn't got my head around technology.......hmmm still haven't!!

Notelets for Doggie Orphans Great and Small


Then the appeal went out for a character to advertise a fundraising concert for Japan Cat Network (JCN). Again I found myself responding " ahh, sure I 'll give it a whirl" thankfully there was enough time for them to say "ehm yeah..... thanks but no thanks" and find someone else to do the honours. Thing is, they stuck with me. They liked Jayceen. (did you pick up the really clever cat name? that was Anna's genius) So the guitar hauling rock cat was born and he donned the posters advertising the charity event. Yup, one thrilled Kate in Okinawa.
JCN's Jayceen.

My next inspiration came from one piece of paper. It just happened to be a 100 dollar bill. Yes, yes, yes, my unemployed self is weak and has twinkles in the eyes that are lit up by green notes.....guilty.
I swore I would be giving it back. I had no confidence in myself. At 40 I had drawn nothing for close on 30 years. I will graciously accept your monetary support but are cartoons and stick figures ok? My bill waver had confidence in me and for that I am eternally grateful. I'm 3 months in and I have a waiting list of 5 commissions. I found a niche. I'm still pinching myself that it is actually my niche but time will let me know if I'm welcome to park myself here for a while. I'm thrilled to be on this roller coaster it was worth the awful six year waiting line. The predictability, monotony and rote of that line was leaden, the only guarantee whilst in that hamster wheel was that I would face certain uncertainty at the end of it. It is from this uncertainty and freefall state I find myself in that art came alive for me. Thank you to the powers that be, here I am.

Ah-chan a 16 year maltese poodle cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment